08 May 2008

the ocean made me feel stupid




It was more about the movement than the place. More about the rhythmic collisions of unknown ecosystems. More about the tides and the waves, the massive body so quickly forgotten as feet dig into soil. It was more about the liquid engines that drive. More about the liquid engines that move, and provide. 

And it was so much more about the movement than the place. So much more about the comings and the goings. So much more about the left behind, the leaving behind. Sometimes I love this place, but I know I must leave it. Because I am enamored by the movement, by the potential for escape, by the particles in the air that evaporate and accumulate and eventually precipitate, into the rivers and streams, into the lakes and valleys, and back into the ocean once again. 

I tried to make a map about the ocean, but instead became unsettled by the absence of the land. I cannot have the land without the ocean. The two halves form a whole. This I now know. 

ºººThese maps are leftovers of a disastrous Intaglio final.  Screenprinting, intaglio, and collage maps made by me. I will hide them away, and try to conquer the world another day, I promiseººº

No comments: