28 February 2009

mon amour

Why deny the obvious necessity of remembering?

Listen to me. I know something else. It will begin again. 200,000 dead and 80,000 wounded in nine seconds. Those are the official figures. It will begin again. It will be 10,000 degrees on the earth. Ten thousand suns, people will say. The asphalt will burn. Chaos will prevail. An entire city will be lifted off the ground then fall back to earth in ashes.

New vegetation rises from the sands...I meet you. I remember you. Who are you? You're destroying me. You're good to me. You're destroying me. You're good to me. How could I know this city was tailor-made for love? How could I know you fit my body like a glove? I like you. How unlikely. I like you. How slow all of a sudden. How sweet. You cannot know. You're destroying me. You're good to me. You're destroying me. You're good to me. I have time. Please, devour me. Deform me to the point of ugliness. Why not you? Why not you in this city and in this night so like other cities and other nights you can hardly tell the difference...

Hiroshima Mon Amour, de Alan Resnais: Je t'adore.